Friday, March 1, 2013

Mishya Takes Trimet: A Blog Post in Texts and Phone Calls

This is a double post, if you are (un)lucky enough to follow multiple blogs I apologize for the sense of "I've already read that, haven't I??" you are experiencing right now.
That said, this fits way too well in both my Clumsy Life and the lives of Keeton and Mishya--well just Mishya, but they don't have their own blogs, I'm overwhelmed with 4 and can't take on a 5th. Although in an interview yesterday it was suggested I start journaling...But I digress.

A brief background:
Keeton out of town.  Mishya in town.  Ask friend to have son ride bus with Mishya to make sure she gets home.  Day 1--smooth. Day 2--reason for this blog post.

3:00 I'm at work 18 miles away from Mishya who should be getting on public transportation with my friend's son, G, in the 'hood if you know what I mean...Josh is on the mountain far far away, skiing.  In his defense he was chaperoning our son's class trip.

3:05 from P (G's mom):  G said that Mishya is riding home with Maestra A today?
3:05 me: Not that I know of--ill call her.  (note the poor use of a lower case i and no apostrophe--obvious signs of distress on my part)
3:05 me calling Mishya's phone--straight to voicemail
3:05 me calling my mother who had been the last family member to communicate with Mishya: Did Mishya say something about riding home with Maestra A?
3:06 my mom: no, she had her bus pass, her keys and money for ice cream when she got off the bus.

pause for you to say, oh how sweet money for ice cream...
back to me now, cause it's my blog...

3:06 me to my mom: I'll call you back.
3:06 me calling Mishya: where are you??
Mishya: on the bus. G got on the bus in front of mine. I saw him as I was walking up to the stop.
me: you're on the bus? with who?
Mishya: I know the driver. I didn't want to stand on the street corner and call you.
me: okay, G thought you were getting a ride home.  Get off the bus at your normal stop and call me. Then walk home and call me when you get there, too.

3:07 from me to P: can you call my cell?

P calling me.  2 moms with 2 kids on 2 separate buses in the aforementioned 'hood...you fill in the blanks.  Ends with P deciding G will meet Mishya at the bus stop to walk her home.

3:25 Mishya to me: I'm at the bus stop, Where's G?
me to Mishya: just go get ice cream and wait for him there

Pause for moment of defense. The ice cream shop is next to bus stop, don't think I'm sending her off to wander. Seriously, what do you think of me? That I am some crazy mom who will let her pre-teen daughter ride trimet aimlessly by herself and then go get ice cream?? geesh!

3:30 me to Mishya: I'm proud of you.
3:30 Mishya to me: Why?

Love that kid.

Whole story.  Mishya was late getting back to school from a field trip.  She was riding back to the school in Maestra A's car.  When she saw G she rolled down her window and shouted out (in a moving vehicle as she rode past, mind you...poor G) "I'm getting a ride back to school wait for me" (please add your own fading away sound here...) G heard "I'm getting a ride back to......" he inferred (as all good 6th graders do cause it's a state standard.) using his knowledge that
 1) it was after school, 2) Mishya was in a moving car and 3) that she yelled "I'm getting a ride..."
That Mishya was getting a ride home.  I hear that he wanted to rush back to the ice cream shop to help her out when he got home and P gave him the what for!

I owe P some wine.  I owe G some ice cream.  I owe Mishya my respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment